Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Up. Ahead.

When trail running on Kaloko, I tend to watch my every footfall, subconsciously "mapping out" each step the split instant before I take it. Kaloko - where I often take the dogs - is very rocky and uneven.  Especially considering that I run in "human paws",  (my Vibram barefoot shoes), it seems that I would need to be extra vigilant, as stepping on big rocks with feet virtually unsupported does not feel good, and even poses the risk of injury.

However, taking cues from the dogs that run with me, lately I have been consciously forcing my eyes off the ground, and keeping them trained up and forward. While running this way comes naturally to dogs, who never question where their body is taking them, for me it is counterintuitive; the fear of tripping up and feeling pain kicks in automatically.

But when I fight the urge to look down, and instead face the path ahead with confidence, something amazing happens. My body soars gracefully across the land, on feet that somehow know exactly where to land without the eyes or mind directing them. Trusting in my feet means empowering my animal instincts. And in so doing, I overcome the fear of fumbling. I remove the subtle hint of self-doubt that defines that unconscious behavior of "watching where I step". 

Integrating this lesson and practice into my journey along Life's rocky path, I move forward with faith in my direction. Focusing on the goals yet ahead, I trust that, with every step, I am exactly where I need to be, at the precise instant I need to be there. And that I am pointed in the direction of the greatest destiny imaginable.



No comments: